Nov 16, 2014


The COMMONWEALTH Motors Corporation of Joliet / Illinois near Chicago started car production in 1913 with the PARTIN - PALMER.  In 1915 it became the COMMONWEALTH to demonstrate the aim for selling cars internationally.  In 5 years they sold 4,000 cars only. The best year was 1920 with a production of 1,828 cars.
Their slogan was: " The Car with the Foundation " .
In 1922 they merged with the Markin Body Corporation and built a taxicab called CHECKER for decades.

Here you see the first COMMONWEALTH emblem:

COMMONWEALTH original radiator emblem with dark red letters
9.4 cm x  4.8 cm

 1917 - 1922


As this is a very rare and expensiv emblem there is a repro made by Harry Pulfer in the nineteensixties.  Pay attention: the original is curved. The repro is quite flat.

repro with light red letters

Now it is easy to compare
top: original        down: repro



 rare contemporary photo showing a COMMONWEALTH


At least there was a COMMONWEALTH ULTRA 4 FORTY emblem, may be a prototype emblem:

For more  car emblems see older posts or top right (list of car makers).

When using a smartphone please use the button webview.

No comments:

Post a Comment