Oct 4, 2019

WOODS / USA

The Woods Motor Vehicle Co. was founded in Chicago in 1899. The Woods was a long lived electric car maker. They became famous for the Woods Dual Power, a petrol - electric car. Production of this Hybrid car started in 1915. It had a 4 cylinder petrol engine of Woods own manufacture and an electric motor using the electric power at speeds below 15 mph ( 24 km/h). Then the petrol engine took over for speeds up to the modest maximum of 35 mph ( 56 km/h).  It took 80 years until the Toyota Prius  used the same technical idea !
The Woods Dual Power had a wonderful radiator emblem showing two race horses, the coachman and the key - words "GASOLINE" and "ELECTRICITY"  but not the name of the company. May that it was a big public relation mistake.




Dimension ca. 8 cm x 6 cm
Year1915 - 1919

Estimate



Very few cars were produced and it seems that only two cars survived today. You can see one of these survivors in the Louwman Museum in Den Haag / Netherlands:

No script on the radiator core




1916 advertisment showing the emblem
For more emblems see older posts or top right ( list of car makers ).
When using a smartphone please use the button web view.

No comments:

Post a Comment