Nov 14, 2022

ADLER / GERMANY


ADLER / Frankfurt am Main / Germany  ( 1900 - 1939 )

Heinrich Kleyer ( 1853 - 1932 ) started in the bicycle business with great succes in 1881. In 1900 he started with a small car using a DE DION-BOUTON engine. Since 1904 they used self-developed engines.
Mrs. Clärenore Stinnes realized the first trip around the world by a women in an ADLER Standard 6 in 1926.
ADLER became famous for the front wheel drive  with the model  ADLER TRUMPF in 1932.
The civil car production ceased for ever in 1939. More than 150,000 ADLER were built in this 39 years.

The first ADLER emblem I could find is from 1902. It is a chassis badge:


In 1902 the name was still "ADLER FAHRRADWERKE", that means "ADLER BICYCLE FACTORY"


1902 ADLER MOTORWAGEN ( seen in a German museum). Look at the wheels: in 1916 patented spare wheels were mounted as there was no rubber for privat cars!







An early ADLER advertisment is showing an interesting emblem. This emblem was  mounted only for a very short time.


c. 1920 advertisment


ADLER with emblem of the advertisment above


 From 1920, ADLER automobiles were offered  with V-shaped radiators. Consequently, the emblem mounted there was also V-shaped.

 

1920 v-shaped emblem ( in found  condition ) which was riveted to the radiator (see original holes at the corners


Size
 10.0 cm x 8.9 cm
Year1920 - 1924
Estimate

 


backside without makers mark

 


perfect decoration object ( seen in a German museum )


 

The following flat radiator emblem  was first seen on the ADLER Typ 6/25, 10/50 or 18/80 and than on the Standard and the ADLER Favorit:


ADLER radiator emblem

 

Size
 8.0 cm x 8.9 cm
Year1925 - 1931
Estimate

 

This is a reproduction radiator emblem:


                                            


                                           

original                      repro

                                            

 From 1925 on, the ADLER emblem protruded with its tip from the radiator shell:


new position for the well known emblem


 

 

advertisment for a new type of central lubrication system using the example of an ADLER Standard 6

 

  Some ADLER STANDARD 6 or 8 had a spare emblem wheel:

                                                spare wheel emblem ( 1927 - 1930 ) made of chromed metal



radiator bar emblem, seen on some ADLER STANDARD 6 ( 1927  ); there was also a 8 for the STANDARD 8



ADLER STANDARD 6 or 8 with radiator bar emblem between the lamps and spare wheel emblem        ( photo Michael Schlenger )



In 1932, the emblem became much smaller, downright tiny, when compared to its predecessors:


radiator emblem of the ADLER PRIMUS


Size
  cm 5.0 x 4.4 cm
Year1932
Estimate


backside without makers mark







what a difference !


Obviously, the emblem was allowed to be so small, because on the radiator shell was now mounted a large stylized silouhette of an eagle, pressed from sheet metal:

 

 

small emblem combined with large eagle ( photo Michael Schlenger )

 There were flat and v - shaped versions of the eagle:


very large emblem with v - shaped eagle showing to the right


Size
 36.0 cm x 11.5 cm
Year1934 - 1939
Estimate



backside without makers mark


 

representive collection on an ADLER Primus radiator shell

For more emblems see older posts or top right ( list of car makers ).

When using a smartphone please use the button webview.

No comments:

Post a Comment